Friday, September 3, 2010

first day of school

Today was the first day of school without the parents, just the children and the teachers. It's days like this that make me so grateful that I am a teacher. My partner and I had the most amazing day; she actually cried at one point because our class is so precious. Only one parent came into the room with their child this morning which is a pretty amazing complement as a pre-school teacher that the children feel that comfortable with us after having only met us one time for 30 minutes. The first week of school in a pre-k classroom has a lot of instruction and talking. Some of you may not know that we are teaching them how to stand in a line, which may not seem like a big deal to you all but asking 16 3 1/2 year olds to stand in a line is quite a task. We have to show them how to hold a pencil, sit in a circle. speak in a friendly voice, ask for a turn, all the while teaching them pre-reading skills, number recognition, simple addition and subtraction, and all of the social skills to prepare them for kindergarten. This day was long and many of the kids needed constant reminding and redirection, but several of the children said some things that made me certain that I am doing exactly what I am supposed to be doing with my life.

Precious comment #1:
Student:"Ms. Davies, I remember you."
Me: "Oh, you do. From summer camp?"
Student: "Yes, you were there to help me when I got hurt of the teeter-totter."

Precious comment #2:
Student:"Ms. Davies, I love school, and I love you and Ms. Biter."

Precious comment #3:
Student: "Ms. Davies, I am really excited that I am in the Purple Room with you this year!"

...I can not WAIT until Tuesday for day 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment